Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Masterful Delight of UD

This evening I took the time to download all of my images to make up for my lack of eye candy in previous posts. Finding these shots on Ebay was actually a pleasure because I was so happy with the results of my latest cards that I definitely wanted to share the entire pack break with you.

On the way home tonight, I stopped in to the cranky mans hobby shop (dude, if you read this blog, you seriously are one cranky dude and need to turn it down a notch). ANYWAYS I went in on a whim that they might have A & G and I could buy a couple packs as a little teaser for my hobby boxes to come (one shipped today!) I had received a few Masterpiece cards from various trades and was curious about seeing a few more of them. I immediately scrunched my nose up at the $6 a pack tag on the 07 selection. The cranky man offered clearance of three bucks a pack, clearly assuming I would take the remaining 9 packs off of his hands. I chose 3 because I have to start being a bit more frugal. This made him a bit grumpier, but he took my 9 bucks and sent me on my way without his usual "good luck". Cranky I tell ya.

So since I kept hitting every red light the city has to offer, I decided to tear these babies open, and let me tell you, the three packs was the perfect amounts of "oohs" and "ahs" and "no way!" that I dont regret not buying more. this is how they were pulled...

Pack #1
First thought in my head was Topher and Crackin Wax. Let me know if you need Mauer to head East.
Cal Ripken Jr, Orioles HOF Legend.

Tricky Dick. Sweet.


Tricky Dick again due to user uploading error!


This Chipper Jones is one nice card. This was more first introduction to the "Framed" version of these cards (mine is actually green). The frame is a nice 3D touch and this is overall just an amazing shot. Hard to imagine Upper Deck came up with this.
A green framed Howie Kendrick. No particular afinity toward Howie, but again comes with a green frame, though the photo is far less interesting than Chippers card.



Derek Jeter! Derek Jeter! Derek Jeter! sucks. Still though, somebody out there will give the Yankee Captain a nice home.




Luis Aparicio, 10 time all-star, 9 gold gloves, AL Rookie of the year in 1956.




The last card of pack 2 is a beautiful shot of 2B legend Bobby Doerr. This is going to go great in my Classic Sox wing.





Pack #3


Yankee Chris Chambless, rendered during his 1976 running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain. The guy behind him got the horn.

This is where the "oohs" and "ahs" really kicked in...



Roger Clemens, Red Sox Legend. Say what you will about that SOB, it's a Roger Clemens card, and a Red Sox card to boot.




Michael Jordan? WOW! This is without a doubt a nice find. Lets keep this in perspective here though folks. I saw this exact version card on Ebay for 250 bucks, and right below it the same card for .99 cents. Some sellers just have delusions of grandeur. Me? I think that this will stay in my collection and make for a nice story for Jacoby some day.

The big finally really shocked me and did not see coming at all...


A Babe Ruth card. COOL! Wait a sec....a Babe Ruth....RED SOX CARD?? WAY COOL. Again some dolt at Ebay is way overvaluing this card, but the fact remains that I have never seen a Red Sox Babe nor thought I ever would. I am thrilled to have this card in my permanent collection.
What a blast these packs turned out to be. I will definitely be keeping this set in mind for next year, but for 9 bucks, I feel that I got a pretty great deal and some nice little pieces.
EVENING UPDATE. I have a bit more exciting news for everybody. This afternoon I searched around Ebay to find the final series 1 Turkey Reds for my collection. I needed 13 more cards and 12 of them were from series 1. I say all of this in past tense because I saw a huge lot of TR's online and I contacted the buyer about creating a separate lot that would give me just the 13 that I needed. It was a gamble, but it paid off as the seller contacted me and gave me the auction number to pay now on. So the hunt has officially come to an end! All cards are now PENDING, of course nothing is final until received, but nevertheless I am stoked to have found a way to close this set out. Thanks to all of you who sent me cards over the last month. I actually am going to be having some duplicates out of the bunches I have coming, so I will let you know when they are posted and would be happy to help you out if you need any of them!
All this, AND the kid is asleep at 8 pm? Rollin Rollin Rollin!












2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I have ZERO '07 Masterpieces Twins. So, yeah! I'll take that Mauer! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah... six bucks a pack?! That's a bit out of line... a hobby box is around $45 online. Nice cards, though.

    ReplyDelete