Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hey everybody. Long time no blog. First of all Jacoby is back up to full speed. He was knocked out for a couple of days but slept it off and is back to destroying everything in his path. Kids get over things so much quicker than adults.

I stopped in the old cranky's hobby shop to get some old packs to rip, and ended up grabbing a few of these...

Cranky was a bit thrown off. he had re-ordered Sweet Spots 2008, and was all set for me to drop minimum 40 bucks yesterday. I basically gave him the "eh, not worth it, i'll check ebay", paid my six bucks and hit the road. I am still holding a grudge for him not selling me individual packs of SP authentic because "they are too easy to tell which packs have the hits", but was more than willing to sell me an entire box for over 100 bucks. Whatever dude, sell your pokemon cards.

So one pack rip for you today! This is World Series Heroes. Lots of foil and presentation going on here, but I think these were pre-Tron laser backgrounds so they actually seem decent. First up is a couple of Yankees, Shef and Tino. Shef is actually a Marlin at this point back in 1997, and if I am not mistaken was part of the fire-sale that immediately followed a seven game victory over the Cleveland Indians.
Tino Martinez is represented in the 1998 World Series against the....San Diego Padres??? How the heck did the Padres make the World series? I was knee deep in college '"stuff" at that point so must have been distracted. Either way, the got swept out and Tino started out the beginning of the end with a grand salami in the first game.



Tom Glavine is next up representing his two victories over the Cleveland Indians to help in winning the series in 6 games.


Finally we finish of with the Wizard of Oz. This card is funny is a couple of ways, firstly this represents the 1982 St Louis win over the Milwaukie Brewers?? Were the Brewers in the American League back in the early 80's? I never really followed ANYTHING when i was five years old. The other fun part of this card was that he only bat .208 in the World Series, BUT played stellar defense! See, you can make anybody look like a hero!
Well, we are off to tour the boy through Halloween festivities. I hope he does not hate us by the end of the day!

1 comment:

  1. Way to stick it to the man!

    I've been calling around asking how much packs of 2009 Sweet Spot are gonna be, but shops are telling me that they won't know until they get them in??? How does ordering/pricing work for these guys? I'm assuming they'll be $20 per pack, just like '08... if not, looks like I won't be "upgrading" any time soon and will just keep sticking to the '08s.

    ReplyDelete