Wednesday, July 7, 2010

From Dumberer to smart

For those of you who have not already heard the the World Cup Finals match-up, turn away!



Unfortunately I heard the result of today's game before I could make it home to watch it tonight. So be it, it's only the semifinals...grrrrrr.

I am, however, thrilled to see the Spain made it through. I feel pretty dang smart now after making the predictions way back when Spain lost their first game three weeks ago. I predicted that they would not only make the playoffs but be a major contender the way that they get a massive number of shots-on-goal per game.

Unfortunately the offense has not always been consistent, as todays 1-0 result showed yet again, but what HAS been consistent is the defense, and shutting down powerhouse Germany, thus crushing the hopes of BABenny for another 3 entries, just shows that this team is legit, albeit not always a ton of fun to watch.

So this weekend we have the finals between the Netherlands and Spain and my prediction is for a low-scoring affair, maybe 1-0 or 2-0 on a stretch goal near the end of the game. I don't want to predict a winner, but am going to be pulling for Espana.

Since I am rolling on predictions, lets go ahead and tackle this whole dramatic Lebron James ESPN must see television event tomorrow night. This is just my take on the situation, but if I were Lebron and I had the whole nation watching, wouldn't it be the biggest F U to the entire fan base of Cleveland if my hero went on TV and basically step on my and squashed me like a grape in front of a massive audience? I think that would show no class and is not the proper venue.

Instead, how does this story sound? The nation watches as local hero and phenom Lebron James gathers at the podium and slips on his.....Cleveland Cavaliers hat....much to the surprise and joy of his fans and the city of Cleveland. A feel-good ending. James is immortalized. A statue is erected in his honor, and everybody writes about Lebron's commitment to his community over fame. He would become Paul Bunyan-like.

Now, do I really think this is how it will go down? Not especially (how does a team afford Wade, Bosh and Lebron anyways?), but in my eyes, while for charity, this hour-long charade, if not staying with Cleveland, could really stand to hurt his image...even if he spends 45 minutes sincerely apologizing the Cavs fans for ditching him, which I fully expect to see should he leave.

Swami has spoken.

3 comments:

  1. I sure hope he stays with the Cavaliers... I love seeing players stay loyal to their teams. Especially since's that's his state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish he would announce his retirement and go crawl in a hole and live there for the rest of his life. I would also propose that ESPN goes dark for the rest of the evening and never speaks of his name (or Brett Favre's) again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be fair to Lebron, the one hour TV ordeal is to raise money for Boys and Girls Club. And according to ESPN this morning, the NBA salary cap doesn't apply to minimum salary players, so the Heat could sign Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, and fill the rest of their roster out with garbage.

    Yeah, that's a good idea.

    I'm still trying to figure out how Strasburg ties in to all of this...

    ReplyDelete