Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Seeing Stars

Occasionally I like to give you a little insight as to what is going on in my life. Yesterday I had a Endoscopy done to me (that is where they knock you out and stick a camera down your throat and take a look around). I have been having cramping and stomach issues occasionally and suspected an ulcer. Well, no ulcer found, but they found a palup (or something like that) in my stomach and cut it out, don't even ask me HOW they did that, and are running a biopsy to see what it is all about. Funny thing is that they were not even looking for it. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Anyways, the FUN part about the whole thing is being a little looped up for the rest of the day. This entailed going to Red Robin to eat, since I had not eaten in almost 20 hours, and then I coyly recommended we hit up Target to buy Jacoby some baby food (plus it would give me a chance to check out the cards section, even looped up I am one clever cat!). This particular Target has been pretty lousy with new stuff, so I was surprised to see this little treasure.
Tickets to Stardom blaster! I have seen some incredibly wacky reviews of this product, and after seeing these in person I have to agree that they are not a very quality offering. But seeing as I was looped up, I gave them a go, at the very least to score a few Red Sox out of the box. Plus 8 cards in a pack is virtually unheard of anymore.


Firstly, check out the backdrops on these superimposed images. Why throw in empty, smog filled stadiums into the background. Obviously these are not the actual spots where the photo was taken, because that would put Lowe up right around the 200 level or so. Doubt he throws too many fastballs from there. Plus I have seen that stupid Pettitte pose on about a zillion cards. It looks like Phil Coke stole the "Pettitte Pose".


Delgado made my scans simply because the back tells the story of his 10 RBI rip against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium. Hunter Pence is a prime example of a WTF?? pose. If Topps is going to superimpose images ala Upper Deck, WHY would they choose this photo?



It is very hard to tell from this scan, but there is one card in each pack that has perforated top and bottom edges...again I cannot figure out why only some of these cards have this type of edge, but maybe you know something I don't.



Has the PNC ever been this full, for reals?




Sorry so teeny tiny, but the blaster did allow me six Red Sox cards, so to the binder they will go.



I guess these are the hits, but I have no idea the ranking (that is one thing I love so much about Topps Chrome, the border color tells the story). So while I won't complain about Price and Berkman, and the Home Run Sluggers up top, I really don't get that "ooh, ahh" feeling when pulling these.



Just a couple extras worthy of mention. Evan Longoria and Cole Hamels. One phenom and one pony that I am going to hitch to my hitters post. I collect mostly pitchers, everybody knows that. But a couple guys that I think are worthy of keeping tabs on are Longoria and Braun. I have a feeling they will be names of great importance some day and I am jumping on the train now.

You can read other reviews that explain this product further, but in a quick wrap-up: Yes, the photos look blurry, yes the cardstock is really thin, and in my packs even the foil looks kinda scratchy and imperfect. and YES, of course I pulled a Johnny Damon! It would not be a blaster break without one now, would it. I will post some more examples of these soon!





5 comments:

  1. I still kinda like these, but I'm definitely one that gets turned off by crappy card stock. Is it pretty much the same stock as Topps flagship? Worse?

    On a non-card note, I hope everything checks out well for ya. I'd hate for you to miss out on what will surely be a short Red Sox post season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought one blaster of this and won't buy anymore. Is that Holland going in your pitcher collection...? No big deal if it is, just checking. Hope your biopsy comes out fine. Let us know about the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whaaaaaaaa??? The stock is WORSE than Topps flagship??? And it still costs $5 per pack (hobby)? WTF???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all goes well for you medically - please please please can I trade for the Longoria - nice bunch of sox cards

    ReplyDelete