Sunday, August 16, 2009

2009 Topps Chrome Box Break #2

Yesterday the wife and little JD went down to visit her family for the afternoon. This gave me a great opportunity to catch up on some mail thanks, as well as crack the second box of Topps Chrome. Now usually my standard MO is to rip packs until I get a hit (autograph, nice refractor, etc). As the case was, the autograph cards were buried pretty deep in the box, so I decided to just go ahead and rip the whole box. I am really glad that I did so, because the last pull was worth it...but first lets get to the statistics...


Box: 24 packs x 4 cards per pack = 96 cards
Base Cards: 79 (33% of base set, 39 dups from last box! (ruh-roh) = 75 (box 1) + 36= 111=50.4% of base series.


Refractors:12
WBC: 5


I can now tell that by the duplicates that I am receiving, it is going to be pretty difficult to get the entire base from 3 boxes, and might now think about a 4th. Are any of you collecting Chrome and are willing to do some trades? I am going to hold off on posting duplicates for the moment until I finish up the third box, and I also will be adding a post for all available refractors soon!


The excitement came near the end of this box. I had not received my rookie autos yet when I pulled the first...

Sweet! Red Sox rookie George Kottaras! We'll see how ol' George end ups with the new Martinez Sheriff in town, but I have to believe that with Tek most likely hitting the road (I will miss the Captain) that Kottaras stands a good chance to do a fair amount of catching, considering that Martinez can platoon so many positions. This is a great pull.


But.....


Then it got even better.....



Wait for it......





YES!! This is the first time where I have actually hoped for a particular card and actually gotten it. This is a regular chrome Tommy Hanson Auto! There is no number on the back, so this is indeed the SP that had been rumored. I actually think I let out a nice little surprised yell when I saw this card. Now if only that last box contains Obama, I will be one happy camper!

I have to say, this product has surprised me more than I thought it would. Pulling variety refractors has been very suspenseful, and the results have been terrific so far. I hope my luck holds up.










1 comment:

  1. Tommy in the hands of a Sox fan..... life just ain't fair....

    ReplyDelete