Monday, November 1, 2010

Shameless self promotion...a mini collector's dream

Just recently, across the continental divide of this mine continent, a misguided Yankees fan by the name of Drew had a rather remarkable box break of T206. Out of his box he not only pulled an auto redemption for some dude named Strasburg (sell high), but he also pulled his second hit, as well as a couple snazzy minis that I had no idea even existed.



Shhh! Secret sets ahead!



When I first saw this image, I thought it was the most ridiculous thing that I had ever seen...and it was a must have for the mini vortex binder. Topps T206 brand manager Chris Holmes. It has a nice little bio of yadda yadda yadda on the back and is serial-numbered to 206. I love these self promotion cards. I have heard of, but have never seen the Ginter autos of the Ginter staff that seem to be all the rage...this is another example of that type of shameless self promotion. But unique it is, and traded for it, I did.



Yet ANOTHER unknown mini hit out of the magic box was this Willie Keeler gold-bordered /#50. Scanner is a little dusty, but this has a nice shine to it. As I was reading up on Keeler to toss you some sweet historical facts and look super-smart (Baltimore Chop), I did notice a bit of an oddity here that I thought you historian buffs might be able to make some sense of...



This is the original Keeler from 1910. NOTE: the league is different on each of these cards. The reprint says NY Natl, and the original says NY Amer...hmmm, Now the originally might indicate Keelers time with the New York Highlanders, OR perhaps Mr. SP T206 Brand Manager might want to explain what happened here...hmmmm.

1 comment: