Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2009 Ginter Prize Revealed...

Before I start this post I just want to begin by saying that I feel really awkward.

I am a humble person by nature. I have learned a ton from all of you over the (almost) year of baseball card collecting. I owe the success of this blog to my readers and those I have done trades with. I truly appreciate your readership and allowing me an outlet to talk sports and to learn about card collecting.

Why awkward? Well, I would like to share something with you that I hope will not be taken in a boastful manner, it is certainly no intended to be so. Sure, we like to all share our great hobby box hits and killer trades and eBay finds, but it's all meant in fun and to pull for each other for the next great hit. Last summer I had an amazing experience and would like to share it with you.

This may be a re-hash for some of you, but for others...

Last July, Topps released the 2009 Allen and Ginter trading card series. In 2008, Ginter had a "crack the code" contest in which the winner, Jason Wong, got the honor of being featured in the next years set. I had read about this contest online, and thought about how cool it would be to get my son Jacoby on a baseball card. Once the product came out, I started to look around for some of the code cards and to give it a shot.

Nick Jacoby, another blogger, noticed that I had been discussing the code and decided to contact me on a Saturday about a partnership on solving the puzzle. We figured two heads were better than one and spent the next 48-72 hours in constant contact with each other. The teamwork was incredible, and if one of us got stuck, suddenly the other would figure out another piece of the puzzle. Long story short, we solved it late Monday afternoon and submitted our answer. After a couple weeks of prodding Topps, they eventually relented and sent Nick an email that he was the first and only person to submit the correct answer! To view the code solution, click here Of course, everything was unofficial..until now.

Last week the Topps volcano began to rumble and I was contacted by Nick saying that Topps had contacted him and the prize was on its way to him. It appears that there was a couple holdouts on signatures, and it took some time to gather them up. Well, Nick contacted me again today, and through rain, and sleet, and a helluva lot of snow, they got to him...













So what happens next?
Well, no doubt through intense negotiations, Nick and I are going to have to find a way to split these up. No easy task, but somehow I think we will find a way to get through it!
Secondly, I wanted to let everybody know that, according to Topps, I will be getting my wish of having little JD on a baseball card after all! I am crazy excited about this. They want both Nick and myself to send in some photos and they will meld them together Ginter Style and we will get to be featured in next years series! Unsure how this will all play out at this point, but I am amped!
Also, at this point in time, I have no idea which cards of will have in my possession much less what will become of them. I can't speak for Nick, but as for myself, for the time being I would like to hang on to these cards and just enjoy them, so they are not currently for trade. Not to say that won't change at some point down the road, but for now, away in Jacoby's treasure chest they go!
Thank you for sharing in my wacky tail! We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats dude, I would write the same thing if I won! Is the border different than regular color out of curiosity? Congrats on getting the card in the set, I'll be on the look for it! Maybe he can sign it through the mail! Hahaha, Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    As soon as Jacoby can write his name, can I have the autograph?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys should be working for the FBI, CIA, or NSA. Nicely done and great blog about the solution. Enjoy all that sweet swag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Cool story. Amazing that you were the only ones that got the answer correct. Your in Sheldon's league now. Awesome prizes. Don't feel awkward its all part of the fun of blogging. Thanks for sharing and congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said it before and I'll say it again... this is awesome! Congrats on that great prize package. Keep us updated on how the split goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...and that female body builder is terrifying...don't fight too hard for that one for Jacoby...he shouldn't see that until he is much, much older...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be so cool when I pull Your Card. The whole thing is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha! Nick mentioned the creepy body builder earlier. I think her and the bowler take the lemon prize!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A HUGE congrats to you sir! I have been worried that Topps wouldn't deliver the goods to ya, glad they finally did! An amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's an impressive haul. very nice set of cards. I can't wait to see the card with Jacoby on it

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so much cooler that a couple of fellow bloggers won this. Congrats guys! It will be crazy to pull cards of you guys next year. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll be getting plenty of TTM requests next year. Congrats and good luck on the split!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to both of you. It would have been a shame if you guys didn't get onto next year's set, especially because of the difficulty of the code. Now we all get to see what y'all look like. Ha ha ha. And, you get a permanent spot in the big Beckett book with prices attached to your card!!!

    Again, congrats to both. Well deserved.

    Sincerely,

    JayBee Anama
    bdj610

    ReplyDelete
  14. too sweet man - too freakin' sweet - you should be more boastful - i would be!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy cow! that is just SICK!!!! I am BEYOND jealous!!!!!!!!!! Way to go man!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, just wow. Congratulations again dude. It was awesomely intense drama this summer when you guys were in the process of cracking the code, and it was definitely entertaining.

    MUST HAVE THAT BURKE KENNY. MUST HAVE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet collection and a well deserved prize for all concerned.
    Even sweeter that the prize went to one of "our own", so to speak.
    Really cool card design as well, love the 'Code Breaker' logo.
    Enjoy the thrill!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's nothing short of breathtaking. Congratulations to both of you! I read the description of how you cracked it in awe.

    I'm sure I'll be one of the TTM requesters Play at the Plate mentioned.

    You should hold out on Topps for the in-product autos and force redemption cards - and walk us through the process.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet Jesus that is a sweet prize, congrats and enoy my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cool. Congratulations on an amazing bunch of cards.

    ReplyDelete